Saturday, January 29, 2011

Subway Flatbread? At home? I THINK SO.

I forgot to take a picture of the WHOLE sandwhich so I had to take one of Luke's half eaten one! Sorry about that! They were just SOOOO good..who remembers to take a picture of such a goodlooking, mouthwatering, sandwhich? This flat bread is actually really easy once you get the hang of it. Give it a try! The only thing i reccomend is reheating it (like they do at Subway) before using! I did that in my toaster oven on bake at 350*, but the microwave would work just fine too.

Ingredients:
1 c warm water
1 pkg (1 T) yeast
1/4 c sugar
1 egg
3 T milk
1 t salt
3-5 cups flour
1/4-1/2 c butter
onion salt
garlic salt

In mixing bowl sprinkle yeast over water. Add sugar and let sit til frothy. Beat egg and add to yeast water along with milk and salt. Stir in half of the flour until mixture is creamy. Mix in enough flour to form a soft dough. Knead 6-8 minutes. In warm place, let dough raise until doubled (45-60 minutes). Punch down and divide 6-12 balls (depending on desired size of bread. 6 balls should do 6 approximately 6in x 6in pieces (maybe bigger)-pefect for sandwiches like Subway. Twelve would do about 12 3-inch rounds-this would be good if you are just serving the flat bread with soup.)Let balls rest for 15 minutes. Heat grill pan (this makes fun grill marks on the bread, but I'm guessing a frying pan or griddle would work well aslo) over high heat. Punch down then roll out 1 of the rolls of dough. Roll it to about 1/2 centemeter (almost 1/4 inch thick.) I've shown a ruler to help those of you who might be challenged in the area of depth measurement!
Remember, that's 1/4 of the inch side, or 1/2 of the centemeter side. These will expand a little while cooking so make sure they aren't TOO thick. But if they are too thin they will come out more like cracker bread than the doughy yummy flatbread we're all wanting! After you've got one rolled out turn the heat down to LOW for the grill pan. Melt 1/4 cup butter and add onion salt and garlic salt to taste. Brush over rolled out dough. The picture shown here was one of my first "tries" which was rolled out too thin. I wanted to just show you a picture to show how I don't make sure it's a perfect square. Also, I found it super easy to roll it out on my stone pizza pan with my pastry roller (which you can barely see in the corner of the picture) instead of a big rolling pin.
Next, lay it face down in the grill pan and cook (for me, it took about 2-3 minutes on low-2 setting. But watch it carefully!) I do not reccomend using the top part of a grill pan for these. It will bubble on the top side as shown in this picture.
If desired butter the uncooked side and flip over.
It may seem a little doughy when you take it out of the pan-and you will just have to experiment with your stove and your pan to see where perfection lies. For me, it looked a little doughy but turns out it wasn't doughy at all when we ate it. I really super hope someone out there tries this and loves it as much as I did! When I get my southwestern sauce perfected I promise to share that too! One of these days I'm gonna have the upper hand on Subway...one of these days...

21 comments:

  1. Trying this tonight :) I LOVE flat bread!!!Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried this recipe last weekend and OMG, it was awesome. It was so awesome the bread was gone within a couple of hours. My husband told me to lose the recipe because it was too dangerous to have around. LOL! As far as my family is concerned, you have the upper hand on Subway!! Can't thank you enough for sharing this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally someone that wanted this as much as me, i cant wait to try it. gonna do it tomorrow. then i'm gonna try it with whole wheat...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! This is the BEST FLAT BREAD!!! Thank you, Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe. Makes an awesome pizza crust too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For how long can I store this flat bread if I make extra (before it goes bad)? And where do I store it? Like anyone else, I don't want mold/food poisoning. If I go to the store to get the other food often enough, I would eat it right away. As you can tell, I'm not much of a cook, but I am looking to change that.

    Email me at harleybiker_wi@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you had that sauce!!!!! pleeeeezzzz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got done making and eating this masterpiece. This is truly a great recipe. Followed the directions as is and it turned out perfect. I did use a tortilla press to flatten the dough balls and it worked great. Perfect 1/2 cm flatbread. Now, if I only had the sweet onion sauce,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to try this recipe out -- Thanks for sharing!!

    For those wanting the sauce, maybe try this one

    http://doitandhow.com/2012/08/17/sweet-onion-sauce-like-subways/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Put this on a George Foreman Grill and it comes our awesome. Just takes a couple of minutes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tried this recipe today and it turned out great. My husband loves it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. can you use almond milk? and does this freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it freezes really well! Just microwave it after defrosting it for a little white and its perfect!

      Delete
  13. Thank God. I have tried everything to try and get the flat bread at home. For some reason, store bought is nothing like the kind I get at Subway. I NEEDED this. lol Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy to have stumbled upon this recipe. I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to try your recipe tonight! I've been using another one that is okay..but the taste reminds me more of a tortilla than the subway flatbread. The secret to getting the dough square if you want it that way....just roll your dough out a tiny bit bigger than you want it to be and use a small very sharp knife to cut straight edges on your bread and then add the trimmings back to your other dough. Works like a charm! :-) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is exact amount of flour?....

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is exact amount of flour?....

    ReplyDelete
  18. For the extra flatbread. How do yo store? Refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
  19. For the extra flatbread. How do yo store? Refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
  20. All purpose flour? And, is this regular yeast? Can I use fast acting?

    ReplyDelete